NancyH
NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics
127115

I have a dog that has purple, round blister like bumps on her

I have a dog that has purple, round blister like bumps on her stomach, an area on her neck that she has scratched raw (I thought this might be due to her collar being too tight and the heat/humidity) and she has vomited. Upon looking at her stomach I found an area a couple of inches where it seems there is something squishy, squiggily feeling under her skin. She recently had puppies but they are all weaned. I also have another dog/six months old that as it turns out has demodectic mange vet confirmed by scraping. My vet assured me that it wasn't contagious but now I am worried. The purple bumps on her stomach are appx 1/2 in wide and looks nothing like the demodectic mange that the other dog has but the area on her neck is similar. I am most concerned about the Purple spots (look like blood blisters), Squiggily area (What are the possibilities of what it is, I realize I need to bring her to vet for thorough exam) Throat rash would be my 3rd concern as I feel confident isn't mange
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Are the purple spots along her mammary glands? Do they feel hard and hot?

Do her gums look pale or is there red spotting on her gums where they are usually pink?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her gums look normal, pink and the purple spots are in between her nipples on the lower part of her tummy. they feel sort of soft on the surface and a little firmer as you press on them. They don't feel hot but she herself feels slightly warm.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her gums look normal, pink and the purple spots are in between her nipples on the lower part of her tummy. they feel sort of soft on the surface and a little firmer as you press on them. They don't feel hot but she herself feels slightly warm. I could take pictures and send them to you.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the extra info. You can upload pictures if they are sized small enough using the green tree icon on the tool bar.

Whle these could be from mammary gland infection due to clogging after nursing was completed my worry is the spots you are seeing may be due to a bleeding disorder and the purple color is due to bleeding under the skin.

This sort of problem can be an inherited issue or might be due to a tick carried disease or another health issue. This site has 6 pages of info on the problem linked together

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/thrombocytopenia-in-dogs/page1.aspx#

scroll down past ads on each page to see all the info.

Bleeding can also be due to ingestion of rodent bait.

While red spots on gums and abdoment are one sign another is bruise spots along the abdomen.

This may also be due to infection under the skin leading to abscess formation that may open and drain.

You can read about more causes of lumps and bumps here

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1581&aid=424

I'd plan a vet visit for her.

If your dog might have gotten into anything toxic, appears dehydrated (see if a pinch of skin over the shoulder blade stays stuck in a tent form or flows back down normally when released), has a rectal temp over 103.5F (normal is 100.5-102.5 Fahrenheit or 38 - 39.2 Celsius ), has gums or tongue that look white, blue, gray or yellow tinted where they are normally pink, has a slow color refill if you press on a pink area of gum or tongue, is not breathing well, or is becoming lethargic and non responsive to you then you may want to get the dog in to see an emergency vet if one is available in your area.

This site may help you locate an emergency vet if you need one

http://www.vetlocator.com/hotline.php

Hope this helps you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I cannot see where I can upload pictures, I see no green tree or anything that says upload photos. I have picturs and would like to show them to you. If it is the Rodent bait what should I do? She is playful and is eating drinking normally.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It doesn't say anything about showing toolbar. The reply box only says "Reply so we can help you better" there is a reply button, an accept button and there is also a "what should I do" link that says to press accept if satisfied with answer.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Email the customer service folks and you can ask them to add the pictures to your question here for you or how to do the upload etc. I'd help with it if I could!

You can upload the pictures to a free picture hosting site such as http://www.mediafire.com/ and paste a link to them here.

Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Hmm that purple lump area does look like it could be an infection.

Do you live in the southwest by any chance? has she had a flea issue? do you have mice or other rodents around the area?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We live near St Louis, Mo (but live in Illinois), she hasn't had any flea or tick problems but we do have a barn and kennel that we have seen rodents in and we have put out poison for the rodents (but we put it in areas that dogs wouldn't really be able to get to and have checked those areas to make sure the rodents didn't push the poison out as I've been told they might. Also, upon examining her again I noticed that she has another smaller, squiggily, lumpy area almost under her nipple and the large one I originally found is near her mammory gland.
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

Thanks I was thinking of a particular infection but its not as likely based on your location

This could be a hemangioma which is a blood vessel filled tumor. You can see a picture of one here

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Hemangiosarcoma_of_skin.JPG/180px-Hemangiosarcoma_of_skin.JPG

It may be an infection/abcess.

And it could still be bleeding under the skin due to rodent bait.

It really is going to need in person vet care.

The rash didn't show as clearly but it might be due to skin infection or flea allergy or perhaps a dermatitis if she has worms from having had pups and cleaning them etc.

If she seems OK you may be able to wait to see your own vet when they open. But if she goes pale or seems weak etc. you might consider off hours vet care.