robert baker
robert baker, Veterinarian
Experience:  vet with local practice

HELP!!! My dog tore her toe nail and its hanging by the quick,

My dog tore her toe nail and it's hanging by the quick, it's holiday weekend, how can I help her? Very painful to the touch.
Thank you,
Category: Dog
Expert:  robert baker replied 7 years ago.
If the nail's bleeding, you can put pressure on it with a clean cloth. If that doesn't work, you may need to take your dog to the veterinarian to get the bleeding stopped.
Your dog's nail should grow out again in a couple of days, but it might cause her some pain until then. You can help her by keeping the nail area clean, so it won't get infected. Wipe her feet when she comes in from outside; you can even clean her foot with hydrogen peroxide if she gets into anything particularly messy. The hanging nail will have to be removed so the nail can heal. If you're not comfortable cutting it off yourself, your veterinarian can do it. If you are comfortable with clipping it, feel free to do so.

The most important thing to watch will be the skin at the base of her nail. If that skin turns red or swells in the next couple of weeks, or if your dog's foot stays sore for more than a few days, take your pup to your veterinarian.Hope this has been helpful please accept pay and feedback thank you bonus always appreciated

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, but it's so painful just to touch it, how will I clip off the hanging nail with the quick still attached.
without seeing the animal it is hard for me to say. You can try to clip the broken part of the nail without cutting again into the quick. Cutting into the quick will be painful and the nail may bleed more, so be prepared. But if you have to clip into the quick the good thing is that the quick will heal and even recede a bit past the break.If your not able to do it the other option is the vet which may be a good idea anyway.The vet will give the animal an evaluation and a possible tetanus vaccination. Tetanus is NOT transmitted by rusty nails, but more by the SOIL that's everywhere and to which your dog's open lesion is being constantly exposed. The vet can also give you some antibiotics, just in case, and some pain meds. hope this has been helpful and good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Vet visit is out of the question it's a "Holiday" weekend, closed to observe the 4th. The information you have provided leads me to the decission to leave the nail as is. It's hanging on by tissue only so I will not attempt to clip off what's there, she will have to wait until Monday or heal on it's own. You did put my mind at ease and that she will survive this painful, bloody torn toenail.
well good luck if you have anyother questions please feel free to ask. If not please accept thank you and have a great weekend