Dr. P
Dr. P, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  11 years small animal private practice & emergency.

If my dog might has a burst bladder can he survive.

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Can you explain to me what happened, where he is now and if he is on any meds?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he was run over by a car
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
was ran over by a car. shattered pelvic bone punctured his bladder.was put to sleep.the vet here was very negative on his chances of survival. feel a little ripped off do you think the right choice was made?
Expert:  Dr. P replied 7 years ago.
sorry it took me a bit to get back to you. A dog can recover from a ruptured bladder. Usually they need to be catheterized for a while so that the bladder can heal. They need to be on antibiotics since there is a tendency to develop peritonitis. And they need to stay on pain relievers too. The pelvis is another story. If one part of the pelvis was broken, or even 2 parts and it is a fairly clean fracture, then some dogs (depending on the size) can come along with strict cage rest and pain relief. Others need surgical plates to put things back together. If the pelvis is truly shattered then that is very difficult to correct and many times can't be fixed. Your other option would have been to see about getting a referral to an orthopedic surgeon and see if they thought that the pelvis was fixable. If you wouldn't have been able to do these things then yes, the right choice was made.

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this.

Dr. P