ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training

What does yellow pus from my dogs penis mean

There is something called smegma which is normal discharge from the penis which is often white to yellow or sometimes even with a slight brownish or greenish color to it. This is of no concern, is perfectly normal, and occurs in most male dogs. It is caused by the bacteria trapped underneath the shaft, and rarely spreads or causes a problem. Most dogs lick it off before it is noticed.

The time to consider it being related to a penile or urinary tract infection is when it leaks from the penis, comes out in larger amounts, or you notice your dog straining to urinate, drinking more water, or excessively licking this area and causing raw skin there. Just keep an eye on his urinating for the next couple of days to make sure, but more than likely, what you are seeing is just smegma.

Best wishes, and let me know if I can help further.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What causes this so I can make myself aware of whatever I did do or haven't been. I supply fresh water all the time They are out side for 6hr and I have 4 water bowls so there is water

Nature causes it. Due to the nature of the way their penile sheath is, by nature small amounts of bacteria can build up just inside the opening and small amounts of smegma can be seen. As stated before, some dogs lick it off before it is noticed, and some dog's smegma hangs off and is more noticeable than others. It is not abnormal, and is not a sign of bad health. It cannot be avoided, but for those who hate the site and have dogs who don't clean themselves up, it can be gently wiped off at any time.