Gina
Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.
673497

My dog had puppies 5 days ago and is still bleeding a bit.

My dog had puppies 5 days ago and is still bleeding a bit. is this normal. it is her first litter, she had 8 and she is a pitt and the father is a lab/border collie mix. she is a little over a year old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

Hello:

Providing that you are sure that she passed all puppies and placentas, then a blood discharge is completely normal for up to 2 weeks after delivery. If there is a foul odor to the discharge or if it is green tinged or black in color, then you need to have your girl seen. Good luck with momma and her new babies! :)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we dont know how many she was supposed to have cause we had an ultrasound done and we only knew of 5 of them because the ultrasound couldnt tell us how many exactly but i dont think there are any more
Expert:  Gina replied 7 years ago.

Hello:

To be on the safe side, give your vet a call and ask if she can have a shot of oxytocin to clean her out but chances are, you are seeing normal vaginal bleeding. :)