Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in small animal and emergency veterinary medicine

My 5 year old Lab was playing in the yard with our other Lab

My 5 year old Lab was playing in the yard with our other Lab and he suddenly became lethargic and couldn't get up. His back legs just wouldn't work. He is otherwise healthy and very active. He had just finished eating about 30 minutes before this happened. His stomach was soft and he wasn't vomiting. This lasted about 20 minites, then he seemed fine. He was playful again and was drinking water. It wasn't hot outside.

Hi glizj -

It sounds like there is a good chance that your dog has a condition called Exercise induced collapse in Labrador retrievers. Although we do not understand this condition completely, but we do know that it is hereditary. There is now a genetic test available through University of MN to diagnose this condition.

Here is a website from the University of Minnesota that does a really good job at discussing the condition

Here is another website that can also give more information about this

I hope this information is helpful. If so, please click Accept. If you have additional questions on this topic, please let me know.