Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets
6877700

just adopted (1 wk ago) a 7 yr old pom from rescue misson...if

just adopted (1 wk ago) a 7 yr old pom from rescue misson...if she goes more th (bm) an 2x's a day, she passes diahreah and blood...no pain or distress noises or discomfort if i push on tummy...but am worried
Hi, this is Dr. Marie here...

I just have a few questions for you before I answer:

Has she had this problem for the full week you have had her?
How is her appetite?
Any vomiting?
Is she a bright and happy dog?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SHE IS A TOTAL LOVE AND HOUSETRAINED..HADTHIS FOR 3 DAYS...TRIED CHANGING FOOD AND EVEN COOKED HER RICE AND HAMBURGER...ITS ONLY WHEN SHE GETS A BOUT OF TUMMY TROUBLE (STRESS?) AND GOES 3 OR 4 TIMES IN HER WALK TIME...COULD IT JUST BE IRRITABLE BOWEL? OR EVEN JUST RAW DROPS OF BLOOD FROM STRAINING/OVER GOING
OK, thanks for that info.

We often get questions about dogs who have blood in their stool and usually the owners are quite worried. However, with dogs, it only takes a little bit of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding, so it is very common to have bleeding along with diarrhea.

The two most common reasons for blood in the stool are dietary change and "stress". A change in homes can certainly be counted as stress even if your home is peaceful.

As long as your dog is bright and alert I would not be too worried. The best thing to do in cases like this is to give her a period of 24 hours with no food (water is ok) followed by small meals of chicken and rice. Then, after a couple of days you can gradually add back her regular dog food. Make sure she has no treats or table scraps in this time.

If she is still not feeling well in 24-48 hours or if you think she is very uncomfortable then a vet visit may be in order.

I hope she does ok!

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.