Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

Can I give my dog nexium prilosec is not working for him

Can I give my dog nexium prilosec is not working for him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 8 years ago.

Hello, why is your dog taking prilosec?

Was the prilosec prescrobed by your regular vet?

Have you tried Pepcid AC?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes Otis had an ultrasound and he has a hiatal hernia and his stomach has fast motility...we tried pepcid than prilosec not much luck then I tried one of my nexium and he is feeling much better. he weighs 46 lbs and does alot of swallowing and licking his mouth at night he also pants more in the past six months
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes Otis had an ultrasound and he has a hiatal hernia and his stomach has fast motility...we tried pepcid than prilosec not much luck then I tried one of my nexium and he is feeling much better. he weighs 46 lbs and does alot of swallowing and licking his mouth at night
Nexium has a wide safety margin for dogs so using that in your situation should be just fine. I would however make your vet aware of the change in medication so that he can update the chart properly and be aware of his current meds to make sure it will not react with anything else he is currently taking or may take in the future. Other than that Nexium is pretty safe for dogs to take and if it is working better for him than go ahead and use it but make sure your vet is kept in the loop with his medication. Let me know if you need anything else.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank u for your answer. is it ok to give him the 40 mg as that is all I have?
That should be fine just make sure you tell your vet what you are doing and the dose you are giving.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank u have a nice day