Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

I have a 1 yr. old rotti mix female. today i notice what looks

Customer Question

I have a 1 yr. old rotti mix female. today i notice what looks like small black bugs in her stool. some of it was from early today and from yesterday. she was spaded last week. everything eles is normal for her. what do you think it can be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Marie here...

Were the bugs moving at all?
How large were they?
Does she have diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i saved some stool outside to show my roomate, when i went back out the bugs were moving. They were black roundish beetlelike bugs the size of small peas. She also threw up this morning brown watery stuff, is was not chunky at all.

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Was this stool fresh or is it possible that the bugs jumped onto the stool when it was already on the ground?

How is her appetite today?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
normal, i dont think she can ever eat enough. i never saw bugs in it before today then my roomate got home and told me that the bugs could have jumped in it.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
OK thanks!

Well, I have good news for you!

There is no parasite in dogs that can cause them to defecate black bugs. However, there are a number of beetles that can get into a stool very quickly if it is left on the ground.

It sounds like this is nothing to worry about!

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i will just have to check it right away next time she goes and take it from there. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
You're very welcome!
Thanks for the accept!
Dr. Marie.