Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

bichon frise: Dr.marie, This is John burke.

This is John Burke.
I want to know if I have female bichon frise and is over one years old or more, plan
to have new puppy. maybe she will have two or four puppy. how long she will have
preganat to have puppy? three to five months? do I call vet when female bichon frise
have new puppy?do vet will come to my house or not? if vet come to my house
Give the antobitic pills when she have born puppys because of prevent the infections.
or i will take puppys to vet after born or sex weeks later? for shots.
Hi John,

this is Dr. Marie here...

I'll see if I can answer your questions for you.

The length of a dog's pregnancy is 63 days +/- 2 days. Most dogs will be able to have the pups at home without veterinary assistance. However, if you feel she is having trouble you may need to call an emergency vet. The following websites give good information on breeding and how to know if you need to call the vet:

Most vets these days do not do house calls, but you can check with your vet. However, if she is having problems with her delivery she would likely need a C-Section which could not be done in your home. I always tell people who are breeding their dogs to be sure you have saved enough money for a C-Section as often they happen in the evening hours and most emergency vets will not take payment plans for this surgery. A C-Section can be $1000-$2000, but hopefully she will not need one!

We do not usually give antibiotics unless there is a problem.

The first shots and vet visits for the puppies are usually sometime between 6 and 8 weeks of age.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.