Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

What is a non-prescription equivalent for Tresaderm, 15 ml

What is a non-prescription equivalent for Tresaderm, 15 ml?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question. There are several other prescription equivalents of Tresaderm, but not really any similar effective non-prescription equivalents I'm afraid. However, if your dog has a skin problem you can try a saline wash (mix a teaspoon of salt in a warm glass of water until dissolved) twice daily and then pat dry gently with a soft cloth. You can then try some Neosporin on affected areas after this wash twice daily for 3 - 4 days until you can get a repeat prescription of Tresaderm from you Vet.

I hope this helps and please let me know how you get on. Just reply if I can be of any further help.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

PS: I would also recommend a medicated shampoo such as Malaseb (containing chlorhezidine and miconazole) as this will also be instrumental in clearing up any skin infection and stopping your dog itching if he or she is.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Tresederm was used for my dog ears, not a general skin condition. When I clean his ears a brownish smudge is on the tissue.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Don't use the saline or Neosporin down the ears will you. It really would be nice to have some ear medication for these ears, but as you say your Vet will need to see your boy to confirm what exactly is going on down these ears before any antibiotic cream is prescribed. The brownish discharge could just be ear wax, however the presence of ear mites can also cause a dark brown discharge.

I really would encourage a Vet check of this boy's ears to ensure there is a patent ear drum and to try and see if there are any mites present down the ears. In the mean time however, there are several things you can do. Firstly - have a go at plucking the hairs that are coming out of your dog's ear canal if there are a few. Particularly the ones growing deep within the canal. Use either you fingers or some small forceps. You can also purchase some ear cleaning solution from you local pet store. There are several different brands here including epi-otic and oto-cleanse. You need to follow the instructions here and be sure to give the entire ear canal a good massage after applying the solution (from the outside). Please see: http://hubpages.com/hub/Pet_Tips_for_Dog_Owners_-_How_to_Clean_Your_Dogs_Ears for more information on how to do this properly.

You should also treat your boy using a good earmite product such as Advantage Multi - normal advantage will not kill these ear mites. These three things will definitely put you in good stead and hopefully allow you to delay the Vet visit a little. Hopefully this gives your boy some temporary relief until an exact diagnosis can be made and some ear ointment prescribed.

Best of luck with your boy and please get to the Vet if this problem is ongoing. Please keep me updated with your progress!!

Thank you for your question and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian