Dr. Brian
Dr. Brian, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  34 years in private practice, 2008 WA State Vet of the Year

My dog has been vomiting up a white foam every morning for

Customer Question

My dog has been vomiting up a white foam every morning for the past 5-6 days, she also has a darker yellow urine than she normally has. I called the vet they didnt seem concerned, said she is probably hungry and cant make it through the night and to try feeding her right before bed and first thing in the morning and if not better by monday to call them..i am kind of worried to wait the whole weekend..any idea what it could be? she is only 5lbs so i worry that the littlest thing could be bad for her.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hi,</p><p> </p><p>Bilious vomiting syndrome is sometimes seen in dogs. Typically they vomit in the morning due to a long interval between feedings. Treatment is to offer smaller meals more often with the final one at bedtime. As long as she is otherwise healthy, eating okay, no diarrhea, and seems normal, I would try the feeding change and see if that solves the problem. If not, then she should be seen, and sooner if she seems sick. </p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
she will eat treats like crazy but doesnt want to eat her food as much anymore..i tried a wet dog food today instead of her dry food and she ate half of it. but that is all she had all day. she doesnt eat a whole lot, she is only 5 lbs but does that seem to be enough? (it was a little ceasers wet meal).

her urine seems to be a darker yellow, what would that mean? She seems to be drinking alot of water?
Expert:  Dr. Brian replied 7 years ago.
If she seems to be drinking alot of water, and the urine is dark in color I would be concerned with liver disease. That too can cause vomiting, and a reduced appetite. The next step will be to have a blood sample drawn to look at the liver enzymes. The food volume will be enough for now, continue to cater to the appetite.