Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.

My dog has a small sore near rectum, it is the size of a pencil

Customer Question

My dog has a small sore near rectum, it is the size of a pencil eraser.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. Did this appear suddenly or has it been there for a while?

2. How old is your dog and what sex?

3. Has it been neutered?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Nimmo,

1. It appeared suddenly with in a day or two.

2. It was a stray dog, we have been told around he was 6 yrs old.

3. No he has not been neutered.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If this has appeared suddenly then it is most likely to be an anal gland abscess.

These will appear as a small red lump close to the anus and in a couple of days it will come to a head and burst. Anal gland abscesses are most likely associated with impacted anal glands.

This is a very mild sort of disease and almost all of them will respond by your vet expressing the anal glands and putting the dog on a course of antibiotics.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Nimmo, however is the medication accessable on line?

p.s. He is scheduled for grooming on this Sunday should I reschedule till the sore heals?

Hello again,

Thanks very much for the accept, sorry for the delay the site was down.

The antibiotics will not be available without a prescription so this will normally mean a visit to the vet I am afraid. He should be fine at the groomer, just tell them to avoid the affected area.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you again Dr. Nimmo,

We took him to the vet that same day.

Southwest Animal Hospital

They charged us 179.00 USD.

Zeniquin 25mg 14 pills $30.00

Entederm/Animax Ointment 7.5 ml $10.00

Exam Consultation $45.00

2- Anal Sac Expression, over the counter sale $17.00

2- Pedicure (nail trim) $12.75

2- C.E.T. Toothbrush- Dual ended

2- C.E.T. Toothpaste- Beef

(I have two dogs.)

Thanks for letting me know.

Scott