Christian K.
Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

What are chewing lice and what are the signs of them I saw

What are "chewing lice" and what are the signs of them? I saw an ad on TV, and I had never heard of them before. Thnaks,Customer

This is Dr.Christian. Chewing lice are spread from other dogs (technically they can get on you but will not stay there long- they like one species only). They chew the skin for a meal rather then suck their meal like a mosquito. The lice crawl on the skin chewing and feeding. They cause itching and irritation. They also lay eggs on the hair. They look like little white specks as they crawl around on the skin. Truthfully they are pretty rare. In most cases they are found on stray or abandoned animals with poor health. If you have more questions please let me know.

Hello again. I saw your note. They are very easy to treat. Typically a dose of Frontline will do the trick. Even several flea baths will kill them. The environment (bedding, etc.) has to be cleaned as well. A cycle or two through the laundry is all that is necessary.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am not sure if my dog has them,,,but it is nice to know what they are and how to treat them. I hadnever heard of them before the commerical on TV.

Thanks again,Customer/p>

You are welcome.