Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931

my puppy is recovering from parvo and he started eating again

my puppy is recovering from parvo and he started eating again but he cant seem to put anything down, he is throwing up everything he eats? what should i do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 5 years ago.

Hello, I am glad to hear that your baby is recovering form her parvo. It is typical that they have some stomach issues when they first start eating again. The issue is that the belly has been rested for so long that there may not be enough good bacteria in the gut to get the digestion going in the right direction. The best thing to do is to start off with a very bland diet. If your puppy is small it may be easier to start off with baby rice cereal and some baby turkey or chicken food mixed up together in small amounts. The bland diet will be just enough tot get the belly going and help settle it at the same time. If your pup is bigger then you can give them some boiled rice and chicken chopped up with some plain yogurt added to help get some of the good bacteria into the gut and start digestion. You should also add some of the yogurt to the baby cereal and chicken as well. If that alone does not stay down then you will want to give a Pepcid Ac to them to settle the stomach acid before you feed her. Give the Pepcid about 1/2 hour before you try and feed her and that should help keep the food down. There is also a product called nutrical that is a high packed calorie gel that they eat to get them started as well. Getting her calories and blood sugar boosted may help her eat in general and give her strength. You can buy the nutrical at any pet store and sometimes places like Wal mart. The bland diet is th e key though and you should try that first and get her going with that. once she gets going with that for a few days gradually add her regular puppy food to it until you are down to just the puppy food. At that point she should be just fine with eating and you should not have to worry about it. You can still add the yogurt or use the Pepcid or both if you need to after she is back on her puppy food completely. I am sending you a link to information about the Pepcid for you. If you need anything else be sure to let me know.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay...so thats for that but i also have another question...is it possible that my puppy would relapse now after that she had gotten better
If the parvo has truly gotten under control and the antibiotics have done their job she will more than likely not relapse. A relapse would happen if the immune system has not fully fought off the virus. Most of the time if a pup has fully recovered form the parvo virus they will not get it at all and some people feel as though they never need to be vaccinated for the virus in the long run since they have an immune system that has successfully fought off the virus on its own. I myself would still vaccinate once she has recovered. If she starts with the bloody stool that smells very foul and can not keep anything down at all even water then I would see your vet right away. She more than likely has an upset or uneasy stomach at this point that needs a little help to get going again.
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience: 10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership