Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my boyfriend put a chain around my dogs neck . Then he puts

my boyfriend put a chain around my dogs neck . Then he puts the dog outside for half the day. Now my dogs neck is opened up and i just wanted to know what kind of pet medicine to get my dog and what else to do besides taking him to the doctor's. what kind of ointment can i get him so it doesn't hurt him. please help me help my dog.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomerbr />
Sorry to hear about your dog ...

If the chain has caused a wound to your dogs neck you really should have a vet check things out but if this is not possible you could try the following.

1. Gently wash the area with warm salt water twice a day and then dry it with some clean kitchen paper.

2. Once you have done this and the area is dry you could apply the likes of Neosporin ointment to the wound twice a day as well.

However if you see signs of infection of the wound is gaping open you should consult a vet as suturing or antibiotics may be needed.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HIS WOND IS OPEN AND LIKE PUS IS COMING OUT SOME WHAT BUT, I'M SCARED TO TAKE HIM TO THE HUMAN SOCIETY CAUSE I DON'T WANT THEM TO SAY IT WAS AN ABUSED DOG AND REALLY HE'S NOT AT ALL. YOU KNOW THEY DO PUT YOUIN JAIL FOR THIS NOW, BUT I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF ANTIBIACTIC COULD I GET HIM SO HE WON'TGET INFECTED AND ALL.
Hello again,

The combination of warm salt water plus Neopsporin cream would have a strong bactericidal action and you could heal many wounds on dogs in this way.

The problem you face is that antibiotics which would be better to use in this situation are prescription drugs and so can only be got through a vet.

If you explain what has happened to a vet in private practice then they will very likely just be concerned about treating your dog and getting it right rather than reporting you to anyone

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OH OK THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR ANSWER.
No problem, I hope things work out ...

Regards,

Scott