Walter
Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My 7 month old Husky mix wont stop pooping in the house!!

My 7 month old Husky mix wont stop pooping in the house!! Even with the door open to go out!!
If I cant break him, I cant keep him.
Submitted: 5 years ago via PetPlace.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.

The first step is to put him on a schedule for feeding if he is not on one already. Place the food down for 30 minutes at each feeding and then pick it up after 30 minutes. Your boy may take a few days up to a week to get accustomed to the schedule but this is very helpful in training. 30 minutes after every feeding he needs to be taken to his bathroom area outside, block off a small area where you can take him. It should be big enough for him to move around and find a spot but small enough to show him this is the ONLY acceptable spot to use. You can use puppy yard gates, or inexpensive chicken wire fencing.

At every trip to the bathroom area use the same words "Potty" and continue to say these words as the dog does his business. If he does not go when you take him out try again in 10-15 minutes. Once he is done it give him praise and a small treat. (Make sure this is a special treat such as a small piece of chicken or a bit of cheese cube use the same treat every time and never use it for anything except bathroom training).

A dog under a year old should be taken to his spot every two hours to ensure that he uses the area instead of other places. Make sure he is taken out after all naps, play and eating.

If you are still having problems when you are not supervising him then consider using a lead to tether him to you. This will give him room to play but also keep him in the same area as you so you can monitor him and take him outside should he show signs of needing to go.

Be patient and do not give up, it can take up to a week or two in order for him to understand this. If used confidently for a few days most dogs can train in as little as 3 or 4 days.......but it takes confidant work. In the end if you want to get him trained it is better to spend the time now to do it right then spend the next 10 years pulling out your hair trying to find a easy solution.

Walter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wALTER IS THIS NORMAL AT 7 MOS?? I also have a problem with him going potty on leash because he is wayyyyyy tooooooo interested in what is going on. That is usually what young pups do, but he is a nut case here. My vet even said he is Attention Deficite!! lol
Expert:  Walter replied 5 years ago.

Yes, it is normal.......though it sounds like he is trained, but just makes the choice to use the house when ever it is convenient for him. Since this is only happening once in a while I suspect it is more laziness then know how. I think he knows where he is supposed to go, but sometimes simply does not want to do it.

By putting him back on a schedule and enforcing the rules he will learn quickly what is required of him. Also by using a tether on him during the day and keeping it on him all day he will quickly calm down when you do need to use it.

Using this method prevents him from sneaking away to do his bussiness......since he is with you at all times on the tether he will not be able to sneak away and go when he wants to. Thus teaching him there is only one acceptable place to out, which is outside.

Walter

Walter, Breeder
Experience: Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Walter..

Makes sense to me.....Lucky me...I get the "lazy one"...

Will try it out.

thanks again

Sue