NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

My 2 year old dog has had diarrhea for 4 days since Thursday

My 2 year old dog has had diarrhea for 4 days since Thursday evening. Very loose bowels and often. She doesn't seem sick but is not quite herself.She does have periods of normal excitable energy. She is eating normally and drinking her normal amounts of water. She does tend to drink out of puddles when we are on a walk,( we live in the country.) The only change in her life lately has been her "revolution" for fleas and ticks started on Wednesday and we have had some large equipment around the house making big noises. She tends to be timid. She has no pain when you touch her belly. What should we be doing or feeding her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

This may be due to intestinal upset from a change in food, stress from the loud sounds outside, intestinal parasites such as worms, coccidia, or giardia, or she could have a bacterial infection such as campylobacter, listeria, or salmonella..
Intestinal parasites are one likely thing to be bothering her. You can bring a fresh stool sample to the vet to be checked so the vet can give the right worm meds, or antibiotics if the problem is a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia or campylobactor.
This could also be due to a swallowed non food item, ingestion of something toxic including plants, mushrooms, chemicals etc, it might even be due to an ulcer, or to a tick carried disease.
So seeing the vet to find out what is going on would be a good idea.
For home care you can add some plain pedialyte to the water bowl to help with hydration.
You can also see if bland food will help your pet feel better.
I would suggest trying boiled chicken meat or hamburger with the fat drained off, mixed with really well cooked rice in a ratio of 1/3 meat to 2/3 rice to see if that works. It's not a balanced diet but OK to use for a few meals while working on controlling digestive upset. The fiber in the rice will help bind up fluids making stool firmer.
I find using the pedialyte and the bland diet along with any prescribed meds helps a dog out a lot and that you can slowly get the dog back on a regular food diet as it feels better. I would not use any over the counter anti diarrhea medication as if its a bacterial infection you do not want the bowels to slow that much until the bacteria is treated.
You can though see if the intestinal soothing meds such as Pepcid or Tagamet or Zantac will help.
Be sure to tell the vet when you see them if you use any of these.
You can read about dose amounts (and cautions) scrolling down on the pages here
If she has a noise sensitivity ask your vet about using melatonin which you can read about here

Do discuss with your vet the fact in a very small number of dogs Revolution can cause digestive upset and see if your dog's problems are consistent with that reaction to this product.
Hope this helps you!