ChristineLVT
ChristineLVT, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Licensed veterinary technician (B.S. Mercy College), 10 yrs in animal medicine and training
4329681

My dog has blood drops on her poo and around her rectum, she

My dog has blood drops on her poo and around her rectum, she has had deworming done approx 3-4 weeks ago but there is still a few red blood drops after she goes poo
Category: Dog
Expert:  ChristineLVT replied 8 years ago.

What dewormer did you use?

What type of parasite did she have?

Is her stool softer or harder than normal?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
not sure brown pill from vet, no parasite it was given just in case. her stool was very firm but have gone back to her other food and stool has been normal for a couple weeks but still seeing blood drops
Most dewormers have to be repeated to work, but I'm assuming if this was given without actually diagnosing parasites, that this blood has been going on for some time.

The first thing I'd watch for is her ingesting things that have cut her a bit or irritated her intestines. If she's a rock chewer, stick chewer, gets rawhides or other types of bones, this could cause the problem.

Second, firm stools themselves can cause irritation like this, and a diet switch as well. You may want to try adding a few drops to a tsp or so of mineral or vegetable oil to the c/d to help move it along faster, lessening the irritation. Unfortunately, a bland diet would be best for the intestines right now, but the c/d is needed for crystals. I would speak to your vet about further testing the stool in case a parasite was just not noticed, and repeating the medication already given, as most are given more than once.

As long as its just a few drops and is red, not dark/blackish blood, it's not too much of a concern, but you certainly don't want this to continue.

best of luck,

Christine