Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog hurt is right hind leg the other day. He was only

My dog hurt is right hind leg the other day.   He was only limping for a few moments, but then started to run weird.

When running he was placing his two hind legs on the ground at the same time - more like hopping.

I took him to the vet and he did thorough exam, but no x-rays. He thought everything was fine and told me to rest the dog a few days.

My dog has been resting for 4 days and when he went to run tonight he was still sort of hopping. Can anyone she some light on this issue for me?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Dogs who have trouble with a rear leg (especially when they do that hopping thing after coming up lame during a run) are classic cases of CCL injuries.

The CCL (Cranial Cruciate Ligament...the dog's version of the ACL) runs on the outside of both back legs. It connects the upper bone with the lower ones, and has a nasty habit of breaking.

Unfortunately, the only way to diagnose this is with a trip to the vet. Your regular vet should have taken x-rays and palpated the limbs to look for hallmarks of the torn ligament (legs with a ruptured or damaged CCL show a 'drawer' movement..which means the bones slide side to side, whereas an intact ligament doesn't allow for that sort of movement).

If it turns out that the problem is a damaged CCL, the only way to repair it is surgically, with either a TPLO (which is a procedure that involved breaking the bones and applying a plate to hold things together) or with a lateral suture (where essentially high-test fishing line is used to replace the broXXXXX XXXXXgaments). The TPLO is more expensive, but works great for active dogs who have the potential to reinjure the limb.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If it is a CCL injury would the dog walk normally. He only hops when he tries to run.

Otherwise he is walking normal, putting weight on the leg while urinating, etc.

He just looks a little weird when he tries to run.
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.
It depends on how completely the ligament is injured. In complete ruptures, dogs will sometimes put weight on it and sometimes now...if it's not a complete rupture, they may act like nothing is wrong until they're running.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification