ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

chihuahua: scratching, and licking different areas of his body

We have a chihuahua that constantly is biting, scratching, and licking different areas of his body. His feet, between his toes, under his chin, his neck, his abdomen area and other parts at different times. Where he scratches and bites becomes red and then after a long period of time it turns black. There doesn't seem to be any scabs or crusty/oozy areas, it just turns red and then after quite a long time it turns black. What is wrong and how can I help him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your Chihuahua is having this issue. Itching as he is can indicate several things. Thyroid problems, allergies (food, fleas etc can all be culprits) and fungal infections are some of the main culprits. The blackness of his skin could likely be due to a fungal infection. It's important to have him into your vet for a skin scraping so that this can be pinpointed (some immune system issues can cause this as well). If a fungal infection is present, they will likely put him on a oral antifungal. You can use a soothing oatmeal shampoo and a product such as Derma Pet on the area for now. Keeping him on an all natural kibble and adding 1 T of plain yogurt to it daily may help as well. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"