Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

Dog has diarrhea and repeated vomiting with foamy mucous drool.

Dog has diarrhea and repeated vomiting with foamy mucous drool. She is very lethargic.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 5 years ago.

Hi thereCustomer

Thank you for your question regarding your dog who has had ongoing diarrhea and vomiting recently. It definitely sounds as though she is not feeling very well and the fact she has been vomiting as well as the diarrhea indicates she probably has some abdominal discomfort. There are quite a number of things that could be going on here from an acute gastroenteritis (from getting into the trash, something or she shouldn't have - or even from the raw meat - particularly if it was chicken), a toxicity or something like an obstruction (partial or complete within her bowel) . If this has been going all day and your girl has not had much to eat or drink during this time, then I would definitely encourage you to get your dog examined at your local Vet or emergency vet. It is much better being safe than sorry in these situations as there could be a myriad of things going on here and only a full Veterinary physical examination can help pinpoint the cause of the problem in order to instigate a treatment and of course set your mind at ease and give your poorly girl some comfort from the last day's events!

Whatever the case you will definitely need to visit your Vet in the morning - unless she seems absolutely symptomless. Please keep a close eye on your dog's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get your dog to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Please get in touch with your Vet or emergency Vet if these symptoms are ongoing or if you are overly concerned about your dog's current state of health. If you can, please also collect a sample of her diarrhea, as the vet may want to send it away to the lab for a fecal culture. Please keep in touch and let me know how you get on.

Thank you and please now click ACCEPT.

Kind Regards,

Dr M D Edwards

Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian