Gen B.
Gen B., Retired Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Lhasa,Shih Tzu Breeder/ B.A.Neurophysiology & Animal Behavior/I use plain English!

I gave yesterday 125cc of zimecterin gold to my pitbull, he

Customer Question

I gave yesterday 125cc of zimecterin gold to my pitbull, he lost a little balance and vomiting once. Now this morning, he doesn't want to eat. I want to know if a need to go to the emergency room or what? Is kind of deathful problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
To clarify: did you give one entire syringe of Zimectrin Gold to a dog?

How much does your dog weigh?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just gave 125cc and he weighs around 90 pounds.
Expert:  Gen B. replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks for researching this very important question!

Many dogs are accidentally poisoned each year when horse dewormer is administered off-label. These products are not FDA approved to provide dosages outside of those listed on the labels--there is no way to know how much active ingredient is in a smaller-than-labeled dose.

A 90 pound dog should not be given more than 272 mcg (micrograms) of ivermectin monthly. This is generally equivalent to just a "spot" of horse dewormer.

The neurologic symptoms you are seeing are consistent with ivermectin toxicity. Symptoms can get worse, and fatalities have been reported with horse-intended products.
Read About Ivermectin Toxicity Here.

Please take your dog and the package from the Zimectrin Gold to your nearest veterinary emergency service today.