ask_me
ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing
5181091

I think my dog has a hemorrhoid. Do dogs get these and what

I think my dog has a hemorrhoid. Do dogs get these and what are my treatment options? It appears to be causing him discomfort - seems to be itchy/irratated. My vet's office is closed fr the holiday and I'd like to help the poor guy out.
- Melissa H.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.
Hi
Dogs can get hemorrhoids, however when these are suspected the cause is often impacted or infected anal glands. You can read more on these here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/tips-on-expressing-dog-anal-glands/page1.aspx At home, you can try to express them or can choose to use a cool compress until your pet can be seen by their vet. If you note any tissue sticking out, distress, or pain, be sure to see your vet at once. I hope your pet is doing better soon.
Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your help. There is tissue exposed externally. It looks like a little bubble. It's a little smaller now than it was earler when I first noticed it. I've been putting a cold cloth on it every so often to keep it clean and comfort him. I've also been keeping an eye on him to keep him away from it - he had been scooting on the grass outside and then licking or biting at the area but he seems to be settling. Do you think he'll be alright until Tuesday when the vet office reopens if we're able to keep an eye on him through the weekend?
Expert:  ask_me replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. While this may be a simple hemorrhoid, I would suggest calling your vets afterhours line/pager to let them know this is occuring. Rectal Prolapse can be dangerous and can be read on here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/rectal-prolapse-in-dogs/page1.aspx As they know your pets specific medical history, it would be advisable to give them a call. I hope he's doing better soon.