Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

I think my dog ate a multivitamin that my daughter had dropped

I think my dog ate a multivitamin that my daughter had dropped on the floor. She is currently vomiting. Is this harmful to the dog? What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question. I just have a few questions for you:

How much does your dog weigh?
How long ago did she eat the multivitamin?
Can you see the vitamin in the vomit?
Can you check the vitamin package for me - I need to know how many mg of Vitamin D and also iron are in each pill.

Thanks,
Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She weighs 9.5 lbs. I am not sure, but probably 3-4 hours ago. I am not sure the vitamin is in the vomit, however it appears to be small amount of food in the vomit. The vomit does not smell like the multi vitamin which has a strong odor. I am really not certain that she did swallow the vitamin. I am concerned she may have since she just vomited.

My daughter dropped the vitamin last night and could not find it. The dog was unattended for a only a couple of hours this morning which is the time she may have found the vitamin. I am trying to get in touch with my daughter to get the info. on the supplements.
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
OK...I am going to do some research...I will have an answer for you in the next few minutes...
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
I'm very sorry about the delay...

I just did some research for you and it is unliklely that eating one multivitamin will cause many problems. When you do have the information on the amount of Vitamin D and iron, let me know and I will do the calculations for you.

It is possible though that the vitamin caused some stomach upset and this is what caused the vomit.

As long as your dog is fairly bright and alert I would not be too concerned!

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just got the vitamin info. from my daughter. The vitamin supplement is Xtramins it contains:

Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) 100 IU 25

Iron (as iron gluconate) 10mg 56

Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
OK thanks...let me do some math and I will get back to you. How is your dog doing now? Still vomiting? Or does the dog seem ok?
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 5 years ago.
These doses really should not cause any harm at all in your dog.

Hope all is well!
Dr. Marie.
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience: Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets