Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

my dog has large red marks on the inside of his legs and stomach.

Customer Question

my dog has large red marks on the inside of his legs and stomach. some of them seem to have gone into a "bullseye" looking marks. They are not raised, nor do they seem to be bugging him. I know that the black flies in our area are really bad right now. could it be a black fly bite or something more serious?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

The 'bulleye' look to these marks are typical of tick bites, and if the areas grow larger and/or your dog begins developing additional symptoms like decreased appetite, this could indicate Lyme disease. Your dog needs to be evaluated by a vet, as soon as possible, and a blood antigen test should done for Lyme disease. The vet will treat the bites appropriately, and decide of these areas were caused by ticks or the black flies.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/lyme.html

If your dog spends time outside, he should be protected by a monthly topical flea/tick preventative like Advantage, K9 Advantix, or any other well-recommended brand carried by your vet. Over the counter treatments are not effective and can be very dangerous to your dog's health.

I hope once he's diagnosed and treated by the vet, all will be well with your dog.

Cher