NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

I have a 4 week old puppy who has a cold,what can i do for

I have a 4 week old puppy who has a cold,what can i do for him?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

If you need a hot water bottle you can fill up any sort of jug with a tight lid and fill it with hot water and wrap a towel around it to provide supplemental warmth for a car trip to the vet. The vet staff can refill the bottle for the trip home. I use a snuggle disc which you can see here

and many pet supply stores carry them.

This age pup can be started on solid foods and may be able to drink milk (goats milk) or formula from a dish too.

To help break up congestion you can bring the pup in a steamy bathroom. You can also run a humidifier or vaporizer with plain water in it to help make the air more moist too.

You can clean the nose out with sterile saline spray such as childrens nasal saline spray or just some saline on a q-tip.

This might be an upper respiratory virus and you can read about either kennel cough here

or canine influenza here

Potentially this could also be distemper which you can read about here

Getting a vet evaluation and treatment may be his best hope.

Hope this helps you!