Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

Hi I have a 8month old springer (female), who is peeing at

Customer Question

Hi I have a 8month old springer (female), who is peeing at night. She held it over night for about a week (about month ago) since then she pees at night. She is confined in the kitchen not in a crate and will go outside 11pm and we get her up at 6am. She doesn't go during the day and i use trigene spray to clean it up.
please help
from gemma
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Marie replied 7 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question.

At 8 months your dog should definitely be able to go all night without urinating. The first thing we need to figure out is whether this is a medical issue or a behavioural issue.

It would be great to have your vet do an exam on her urine to see if there are any signs of kidney issues, infection or crystals.

If all is clear then you may want to consider restricting her to a crate at night time. It may be that she has taught herself that it is ok to pee in the kichen. Most dogs will not pee in their crate as long as the crate is not terribly large. She needs to have enough room to stand up and turn around but not more than that.

If she does well with the crate then after a couple of weeks you can try her again and see if she can make it without the crate.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I have used a crate on she for 2 months and she has been great at night, but 1 night ago I took her out the crate to try her like suggested but she peed on the floor overnight in the same place. she has also had a few accidents in the for the first week then was dry. I have clicker trained her to pee outside and I haven't had an accident inside but today see passed faeces indoors, while the door to the garden is open all day. She has done this a few times but not for 2 weeks. She has been to the vet, no problems with her faeces or urine. she is on a hypoallergenic diet as has food intolerances. also when she passes faeces on a walk she will never sniff first and will just go straight away where ever she likes (not like my other dog)
Please can you help