LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

My dog recently went blind. Now he will not eat, but drinks

My dog recently went blind. Now he will not eat, but drinks lots of water. He is so weak, he can barely stand up. We can not afford another vet bill since the medicine for his eyes and that visit were almost $200. He is about 5 years old. Should we just hold him and pet him until he dies or is there anything reasonable we can do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

Do we know why your guy went blind?

Were there any blood tests preformed to rule out any conditions or diseases? If so do you know what and what the results were?

How long has he not been eating?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not really. This is hard to explain. Parts of his eyes became cloudy. One eye was totally gone. Another has partial sight after we gave him some medicine for it. I don't think the vet did any blood tests. He did not eat for a few days. Then he started to eat. Now he won't eat again for the past two days.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
Ok, well I would definitely suggest you have some labwork preformed. I know it can be expensive but we need some answers before you decide what the next step is. A young dog like this with eye cloudiness that is drinking alot of water . . . the first thing I have to think about is diabetes. If this is the case then treatment should be instituted to help reverese the clinical signs of drinking alot, possibly the weakness etc. Caring for a diabetic dog can be expensive though so that is something else to consider. If you think he may be on the verge of dying, then I would not let him die in your arms if you think he is suffering. There is a very humane way of putting him to sleep without suffering and depending on how severe he is this may be a very fair and just option for this guy. I hope this helps to answer your question. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is probably wasting your time, but I would just like you to realize he was attacked by a coyote two years ago and torn open. He dragged himself back to our house. A veternary hospital operated for two days. He was just about dead. Then he pulled out of it and lived. They only charged us $2000 for the procedure. This was far under what they could have charged. It took over a year to pay that back. Then he gets attacked by a pitbull in our front yard and survives that. Then he goes almost blind. We want so much to help him. He is a survivor. But now he is dependent on us. From what I wrote before, is there much of a chance he can survive this time too?
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
oh wow, sorry to hear about all of this! WEll it is tough to say for sure. I would want to know what is going on, if he is diabetic and not treated, then unfortunately no. If he is just laying in your arms, weak, not eating etc, I think it will be very difficult for him to pull through. If this was just an external problem, sure, but I think there are 1 or more organs involved and those just don't get better. I'm very sorry.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The reason I did not reply right away is the dog died about 5 minutes after your email and our family has been devastated since.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
<p>Oh heavens, I am so very sorry. IT sounds like he atleast went peacefully in those who loved him's arms. </p><p>Again I am very sorry. If there are any questions you have you are more than welcome to ask!</p>
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When we get our next dog I'll make sure to go to you first before any local vet. You are far away, but I trust your knowledge and caring more than those here.