Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

for some reason ants keep getting on my dog & in her bedding.

for some reason ants keep getting on my dog & in her bedding. is there a way to prevent this. will flea powder have an effect?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

HiCustomer

Ants are generally attracted to food, so if your dog eats treats in her bed or maybe hides rawhides or other treats in the bed, that would be what the ants are attracted to. They're also likely to follow the scent of urine or feces, so if your dog has a problem controlling either of those, that could be part of the problem too.

Some home remedies you could try to get rid of the ants would be:

Vinegar is such a powerful natural ant repellent, it will cause those pesky critters to run away from wherever you put it. If ants are coming inside your house, spray some around the doors or windows. They won't ever try to go inside your house with the odor of vinegar. You can also spray some on their nests, they won't stay there for long you can be sure about that.

Black pepper is another very powerful ant repellent, because they don't like it. If you sprinkle some pepper around your house and near ant nests, they won't come near your house and move away. Just sprinkle some until they are completely gone from your garden or lawn.

Cayenne pepper is similar to black pepper, ants just avoid it because of the strong smell. So again spray some around where you don't want to find ants and near their colonies. They will run away in no time.

Cinnamon is another natural ant repellent that you can use. It has a similar effect to the different peppers. You can buy it in bulk for pretty cheap and sprinkle it everywhere you don't want ants. It is a lot cheaper than getting chemicals and very effective. It won't kill them, but they will not bother you again.

Boiling water is a bit more brutal method to get rid of those ants, but usually works pretty well, if you can get the queen. Usually it won't be a problem if you put enough water down their nest. A few gallons of water should be enough.

Another natural ant repellent is baby powder. Ants are killed by baby powder. Baby powder is really just Diatomaceous earth, a safe and natural substance. Pets will ignore baby powder and children aren't affected by it at all. Place a line of baby powder around windows, doors, and cracks, and you'll virtually eliminate your ant problem overnight.

Coffee is a natural ant repellent as well. Ants hate coffee, so they won't cross a line of it. You can use coffee in much of the same way as you use baby powder. Almost everyone has coffee in their cupboard, so it is an easy solution. But don't think you need to use the expensive stuff - generic is good enough for ant!

A suprising ant repellent I'd like to share in this article is Cream of Wheat. Cream of Wheat is a natural bait for ants. The workers take the cereal back to the nest where they share the food with all of the ants. When Cream of Wheat comes into contact with the internal fluids of the ant, it explodes. This is a way to take care of the entire ant problem with a bang.

I hope these help!!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have a clue where the nest is. It got hot about a week ago & the problem started. We have this ant problem every year but this is the first time it's been a problem w/the dog & her bedding. She is old & now frequenty has accidents in the house & on her bedding. I clean them up right away, but the scent of feces & urine might be the issue. Anyway, do you think some of these remedies will work if I use them on her bedding & around where she hangs out in my room. If so, which would you recommend I start with as the most effective?
Expert:  Lisa replied 5 years ago.

Good morning.

I've had pretty good luck using the baby powder around the windows/doors to help keep the little buggers out...and sprinkling some of the cinnamon or coffee around her bedding might be just the trick to keep them away from there.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification