Dr. Marie
Dr. Marie, Veterinarian
Experience:  Compassionate licensed veterinarian with >20 years experience with cats, dogs and pocket pets

my dog is very antsy, cannot sit still for more than 5 mins.

my dog is very antsy, cannot sit still for more than 5 mins. paces and whines all over the house. he shakes his head and is scratching the ground with his back legs when outside. Checked his ears and his mouth so far and nothing. any ideas?
It does sound like your dog is quite uncomfortable!

If he is all of a sudden really itchy it is possible he is having an allergic reaction to an insect sting.

If so, he should get some relief from benadryl. You can read about benadryl here:

Benadryl dosage:

If this has been a chronic thing (i.e. more than a couple of days) then let me know by hitting reply and I'll give you some more ideas.

I hope this information helps! If you have more questions regarding this problem, just hit reply. If I am online I will respond right away. Otherwise I will respond as soon as I come online again. Or, if my answer is sufficient, then please hit accept. Thanks!
Dr. Marie.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it just started a few hours ago an he has been playing outsid emost of the day. I will check into the benadryl, as I have allegies an have some here. Thank you for the fast response and I will let you know how it goes
You're very welcome! I hope everything goes well!

Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he is a 6-7month old shepard any idea on how much I should give him? oh and one other thing is he does not wish to go outside now and really fights me at the door
Unfortunately I can not legally advise you on dosing amounts but if you read the link I gave you above you can find that information there.

It wouldn't surprise me that he doesn't want to go outside if last time he was out he was stung! He should get over this in a couple of days.

Hope all goes well!

Dr. Marie.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok found what I need. it seems that he is starting to settle down now, so I will keep an eye on him and go from there. thanks again
Sounds good!