LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

what can cause his front paw to knuckle under to the point

Customer Question

what can cause his front paw to knuckle under to the point he stand on his wrist and wont extend his paw like normal? Plus he now is having stability problems with his back legs.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
THanks for writing in,

More and more is coming out about use of gabapentin as a drug that is used in osteoarthritis therapy. The nice thing about it is that it is not a non-steroidal so there aren't potential side effects with its use like there could be with Rimadyl. It will help to block pain so for that purpose it is a great drug to use for both dogs with seizures and with arthritis. I would continue its use.

As far as what you are describing with the knuckling, it definitely sounds like a neuropathy whether it be the nerves that run down that limb or if the problem is originating from the neck. Regardless, like you said a veterinary neurologist should definitely see Rommel to determine what diagnostic testing should be done as well as what medications can be used to help with the symptoms. Even a throrough neuro exam by the neurologist will reveal a wealth of information. I hope this helps!