LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian

I have a 14 month Springer bitch and for the last two days

Customer Question

I have a 14 month Springer bitch and for the last two days she has just wanted to sit in her basket/bed and doesn't want anything to do with me or my wife - If we talk to her while she is in her bed she looks scared and trembles and if you go near her or touch her she will growl. She is eating and her stools look OK, she is drinking water. I took her for a walk this am and she seemed fine when we were out but she was reluctant to go out. She had a season about 2 months ago and there were no problmes with that. Any ideas ? she does have a wet nose and is generally alert.
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for writing in,

Sorry to hear about your girl. Given what you have said the main thing I would be concerned about is if she is extremely painful somewhere whether it be in her neck/back or abdomen. Given that she is shaking (an obvious sign of pain) and that she growls when you try to touch her, I would bring her to the vet to see what is going on. They will ensure she doesn't have a temperature and isn't systemically ill. They will do a full physical examination which will reveal alot about what is going on with her. They will then be able to direct you as to the best course of treatment. I hope this helps to give you some direction with your girl. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK - thanks for your help. DO you think this coould just be a "mood" thing and she's just hormoanal ?

Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 7 years ago.
Well it's always possible, but unlikely. If this is something that happened when she was last in heat, then I would highly suggest you have her spayed to prevent any more of these phases. If this is something that continues, don't hesitate to bring her in.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No - this is the first time this has happened - She has her own room near the kitchen and she's always on the look out for dropped food when I'm cooking but today she just stays in her bad - I'll take her to the vet to get her checked out - thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just to let you know that we took Poppy to the vet and she was having a phantom pregnancy ! She's fine now.