Donna P.
Donna P., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Veterinary Technician with 15 years experience. Boston Terrier Breeder

My dog pees all the time, when I go to pick her up sometimes,

Customer Question

My dog pees all the time, when I go to pick her up sometimes, also when she gets excited. But she pees about 20 times per day, and it really stinks. Is there something wrong with her?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Donna P. replied 7 years ago.

The urinating when picked up or excited is submissive urination usually. This is not a housetraining problem - but a sign of a very submissive dog that is a bit scared. These dogs need obedience training with lot of positive reinforcement to build their confidence as well as lots of socialization and positive experiences. I would suggest trying to avoid any situations which you can predict will make her nervous enough to urinate. Have people greet her very low key and avoid leaning over her or making eye contact. Do not punish her or even acknowledge if she has done this - just distract her to another area - clean it up and ignore it otherwise. THis is because she is trying to be submissive and show you that you are the boss. If you yell or punish her it starts a cycle where she tries to act more submissive and you get angry so she acts more submissive and pees more and you get more angry so she acts more submissive, etc. So this type of urinating I would completely ignore - except obviously to clean it up. I would work on building her confidence in a variety of situations. They usually outgrow this - thankfully.

If she is squatting to urinate 20 times a day - that is not in response to submission or excitement - she may have a bladder infection. I would suggest having a urinalysis done to see if this is the case. It is fairly common for young female dogs to get bladder infections. Most of them are cured with a round of antibiotics.

If you need more information just reply to your question.

Donna P.

__________If this was helpful, please click ACCEPT____________

thank you.