Gina, Breeder and Health Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care. Hobby breeder of Olde English Mastiffs and owned by an English Bulldog.

I noticed my 5 month old dachshund drooling excessively starting

I noticed my 5 month old dachshund drooling excessively starting yesterday morning. I have him a pork bone for the first time Saturday and another Wednesday. Other than that everything else has been normal. He's still eating and drinking like normal, pee is normal, pooh is a little runny. Last week I noticed his front baby teeth were gone and this week they have now grown back in. Could the drooling be his back teeth growing in or should I be worried? I think he's been trying to vomit, but nothing comes out. I've only seem him do this once, but I'm not sure if he's done it when I wasn't looking. I know for a fact he has not had much expose to anything toxic, nothing more than household cleaning products that I use for moping the floor. I keep everything else out of his reach and nothing has been moved. He uses doggie litter, could he have eaten that and gotten sick?

Drooling normally indicates pain and/or an upset stomach. There are two things that immediately come to mind considering you gave him a pork is pancreatitis and the other is a possible obstruction. If he is eating and able to hold food down, I would lean towards pancreatitis. BUT if he is vomiting and has runny stool OR constipation, along with abdominal pain, then an obstruction is possible. Considering we are coming up on a weekend, I would really consider having a quick x-ray done to rule out the obstruction. For now, try a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice and make sure you keep him hydrated. You can use some plain pedialyte in his water. (if it is pancreatitis, this will help settle the tummy and so go away in a couple of days)

I would not recommend pork bones of any kind for any type of dog. Instead, consider a safe chew like a bully stick. These can be purchased at major pet retailors and can provide hours of safe chew time per stick..and they are all natural :)

Let me know if you need any further information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there any chance that this could be from teething? And is it a problem that he uses doggy litter? It's made of all natural paper, but I notice from time to time he'll chew on it. I immediately take it away from him, but he's been home once by himself for a few hours and could have eaten some without my knowing. I'm stationed in Germany on a military base and it's extremely difficult to get emergency care. I'll try my hardest, but I'm afraid if I don't get him seen soon enough something will go terribly wrong.

Hello again:

Chance are pretty slim its from teething and I've never heard of a problem with doggy litter. Dogs that eat cat litter, usually when its clay based, may have problems with obstructions but I doubt its from the paper litter. The best bet is from the ham bone. If it was a bone from your dinner, the fat content is very high and ham bones in general spliter. Considering he is still eating, I am not overly concerned with an obstruction but if he shows symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea with or without blood, constipation, lethargy or fever over 103 along with refusal to eat and drink, definitely get him in ASAP. But the boiled chicken and rice throughout the weekend should settle his tummy. :)