Terri Riba
Terri Riba, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in canine health and behavior. 20 years of experience with dogs

My dog has explosive diarrhea for the last 3 days. No fever.

Customer Question

My dog has explosive diarrhea for the last 3 days. No fever. Poor appetite. Went to the Vet today. Vet gave me I/D dogfood. My dog won't eat it. He is very upset and circles and tries to reach his anus before this explosive diarrhea. Could it be an obstruction? What should I do next?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Terri Riba replied 7 years ago.

Hi there,

I am sorry your boy is not feeling well.

He may have colitis or Pancreatitis:

That is treated with an IV and nothing by mouth for two days.

If he just has a severe GI upset you can try home care.

He can have Immodium, kayopectate or any OTC at scroll down for products and dosages.Use pepsid a.c for vomiting.

I would pick up any dog food.Try a small amount of boiled chicken with all fat drained off, chop meat , or baby food with no onion, beef, turkey, etc add cooked white rice or infant rice cereal.

Go very slow so he does not throw it up.

Dogs get dehydrated and hypoglycemic very easily from diarrhea.

Add unflavored pedialyte to his water 50/50 to hydrate him and balance his electrolytes.

Put a drop of pancake syrup on his tongue to raise his blood sugar in case he is a bit hypoglycemic. That should perk him up.

Do not allow him to drink a lot at a time If he throws up water, he can lick ice

Keep him on that very light diet of boiled chicken or baby food for 48 hours after the stool is normal.

Also give him one teaspoon a day of plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in his system.

If he develops any abdominal pain, bloating, constipation or cannot keep anything down he needs to be reseen by a vet.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will always be here for you

I hope your baby feels better very soon..

Best wishes,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took him back to the Vet // they performed an X-ray // he has enlarged spleen and his liver is smaller than usual . they also collected a stool sample.

I am gld you, took him in. I hope he is better very soon.

Please let me know how he is doing.

Huggs for him,