Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian
7189224

My shih tzu has bloody diarrhea. He doesnt seem to feel real

My shih tzu has bloody diarrhea. He doesn't seem to feel real bad.   It is very runny with bright red blood.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

For how long has your dog had this problem?
How old is he?
Is he having any problems with vomitting as well?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is not vomiting. He is 7.5 years old and this seem to have started sometime in the early morning hours.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Is he lethargic, or is he acting normally?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not feeding him but he is drinking. He is acting kinda normal. He ran down the hall and ran down the sidewalk when I took him out for a walk.
Expert:  Dr. K replied 5 years ago.
Hematochezia (bright red blood in or on the feces) can result from a number of different things that generally cause inflammation or irritation of the rectum or anus. It can also occur with diseases of the colon. Causes include:

Rectal or Anal strictures
Problems with the Anal Glands
Perianal Fistulas
Cancers
Rectal Polyps
Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
Parasites
Prostatic disease (Males)
Constipation
Ingestion of Foreign Bodies (Bones, hair, toys, etc...)

There are also many dogs who will have a few BMs with blood in it from a little bit of stress, and then will not repeat this. The vet will often treat these dogs with a drug called Flagyl, and prescribe a bland diet (boiled white rice and boiled white meat chicken breast mixed in a 3 to 1 ratio) for about a week. If your dog is not on a monthly heartworm preventative, parasites can certainly be a possibility and you should bring him in for an examination and a fecal analysis (bring a stool sample with you). Upon physical exam, the vet will also be able to check his anus and rectum for any signs of polyps, tumors or anal gland inflammation. If all checks out okay, and the parasite test is negative, the next step would be to pursue blood and urine laboratory testing and abdominal ultrasound to look for signs of inflammatory bowel disease.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and I wish you the best of luck with your dog. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years experience as Veterinarian