Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.

my 17 year old dog wanders the house at night no matter what

my 17 year old dog wanders the house at night no matter what time I walk him, he will doze for a couple of hours and then wake up and wander round. As he is also deaf and his sight isn't great he also bumps into things. Any remedies I can try to assist his night time sleep ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, so far, to help your dog.

Because he's elderly and deaf, with failing vision, it's possible that he wanders at night because he wakes up disoriented, due to a condition called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction, similar to senility in aged humans. He may awake and not recognize his surroundings, so he walks around to try to find a familiar area where he feels secure.

If he's bumping into things, it would be best to keep him in an area where there is little furniture, and pad the area, so he can't hurt himself. If you prefer to keep him in your bedroom with you, so you can sleep better and he will feel you are near, that good, but he may need a mild medication to help him sleep more soundly, for more hours.
Due to his advanced age, his vet will need to evaluate him first, and then decide if a mild sedative may be appropriate and not detrimental to his health.

I hope things improve for you and your dog, very soon.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I am paying the $15.00 ($45.00 NZD) as you did answer my question, however I already knew he has dementia. You really can't miss it Laughing and i was just wondering what else I could do for him, without putting him on more medication. Its a pity to have to pay for a recommendation to take him to the vets - I guess I was just hoping for some between his usual bi-monthly check ups.

Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks for your reply and your accept.

If you did not find my answer helpful, I'd rather that you had not accepted, as there is no obligation to do so unless you found my information 100% helpful.

From the information included in your question, I had no way of knowing that you had already gotten a diagnosis from the vet, your dog sees the vet bi-monthly (excellent!), and you already knew he had dementia. I thought you were seeking advice on how to help him sleep for more hours at night, and you hadn't mentioned he was already on any medications. I understand you not wanting to add to his medications at this time.

It seemed that you were requesting an answer with a possible cause of his current behavior, which as you mentioned, was obviously dementia, but there was no information to indicate you had already been to the vet and knew this.

If there was a mis-communication, I apologize, but I don't want you to feel you paid for an answer that was not useful, so please let me know if you would like to request a refund. My only concern is the health and wellbeing of your dog.