Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my dog makes grunt or groan when he lies down, should I be

my dog makes grunt or groan when he lies down, should I be worried - he is a 4.5 Bernese Mtn Dog?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Parkside,

He may be starting to develop some hip problems such as dysplasia or even arthritis even though he is still not old. You might want to try glucosamine chondroitin (a supplement) and see if that helps him along with deramaxx. You can read about this here:

Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. Read side effects and precautions here.

Aspirin can not be used full time so you will need to see the vet and ask about deramaxx for your boy. Since he isn't experiencing other symptoms, you may just want to ask your vet about this at his next visit and have him checked over. Some dogs are also just more vocal than others. I have a female that from time to time will exhale loudly when laying down too roughly and snores terribly. However, it is best to get it checked especially if the aspirin seems to help.

I hope this information is helpful to you.