Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My Yorkie -Poo , 2-1/2 years old wont stand on his back legs

My Yorkie -Poo , 2-1/2 years old won't stand on his back legs and seems to be in a good deal of
pain. Yesterday morning he was just fine, went for a walk in the afternoon and seemed sluggish, then evening yelped when we touched him, then by this morning couldn't (or wouldn't stand up. Last night, my husband massaged his hips and back legs, he seemed to like it. Today he seems paralyzed at the back end. Today he doesn't yelp if we touch or move his legs, but he won't stand on them or walk. He is historically quite a big suck. He is drinking a bit and doesn't have much of an appetite. There is nothing stuck in his foot, doesn't appear to have any swelling, stomach not distended. What could this be?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well.

If he has paralysis in his hind end and also was exhibiting pain yesterday, he may have developed a 'saddle thrombus', which is a blood clot in the main artery supplying blood to the hind legs; this can cause paralysis and pain. The clot would be related to a cardiac condition called cardiomyopathy.

http://www.sniksnak.com/doghealth/heartfailure.html

If his paw pads on the hind legs are cold to the touch, this indicates a lack of circulation. If his pads are warm, that's good, but the cause of his pain and refusal to walk on his hind legs needs to be determined by the vet. He also may have a pinched nerve or compressed vertebra which is responsible for his condition.

Try to bring him to the vet for evaluation and a hands on exam, as soon as possible, and I hope he's feeling much better, very soon.

Cher