Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

Is it safe to feed my dog ensure shakes to help her get nutrition

Is it safe to feed my dog ensure shakes to help her get nutrition? She won't eat, and is on several medications to help, but she's losing weight. She's twelve pounds and 15 years old.

Better than Ensure, there is a mixture formulated for dogs. It is sold at the larger Pet Stores like Petco. It is called Dogsure. It is a totally balanced diet for our furbabies that need some special nutrition. Joan

http://www.petco.com/product/14329/Pet-Ag-DogSure-Meal-Replacement.aspx

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We are planning to get that when the store opens tomorrow. Can we get the ensure for tonight just to tide her over? She hasn't eaten a whole meal in a couple of weeks and she's really weak.

That is not a problem. Make sure you use vanilla and the Plus is very good. Joan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much. How many ounces is okay? She's twelve pounds. I have an oral syringe that measures in ounces or mL. I'll be sure to hit accept after I send this.

I would do it in small incremnts as it can sit heavy. Maybe a couple of table spoons every 30-45 mins. Be carful when feeding, so it doe not go into her lungs. She should accept this willingly. She may even lap it up. I would get some Royal Jelly at the healthfood store and open the capsule in the mixture. It is high in nutrition and will help with appetite. Joan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
God Bless You!

Thank-you and I will keep your baby in my prayers! Joan