Walter, Breeder
Experience:  Breeder and pet health consultant. Have spent a number of years with dog rescue, training and health

My Lab has hurt her back leg or hip while playing with 2 other

Customer Question

My Lab has hurt her back leg or hip while playing with 2 other dogs. She keeps it up when she walks and if she does lay on that side, she cries to get up. She walks a few steps then sits down. The vet is not available until tomorrow. Is there any house hold pain medication I can give her? Hot or cold packs?
Thaks in advance.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

If there is no one within reach you can use ice packs (Ice wrapped in towels) to place on the leg to help with swelling. You can give aspirin as long as there are no bleeding conditions present and as long as the dog is not on any naisads from the vet. Also if any corticosteroids in a oral or injectable form have been given you can not give aspirin.The dosage for aspirin is 5mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours for a maximum of two days. If she can not have aspirin you can use the ice compresses only.

Keeping her immobile is the biggest issue......the last thing you want is for her to further injure the leg. If you have a crate now is the time to use it to keep her from moving around. Otherwise a small area closed off will work as well. Use extra blankets and pillows around her to help support her.

Make sure she is eating and drinking as well as she may refuse food or water from the pain. You can feed her boiled chicken and rice if she refuses her regular feed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How often and for how long do I put the ice pack on the dog's hip?
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

You can use it for 5-10 minutes each time (Or as long as she will let you) every couple of hours. The more often you can use it the better.....but being a larger breed this may be harder.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your help. I will reccomend this site to my friends here in the Caribbean, Antigua, with dog questions!
Expert:  Walter replied 7 years ago.

Your very welcome and Thank You for the referral!

I wish you the best with your girl.