Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give my dog a ham bone as a treat

Can I give my dog a ham bone as a treat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I would advise against giving any sort of bone to dogs as over the years I have seen a number of problems related to this practice. These problems come in two ways in my experience:

1. The dog splinters the bone as it chews it and then swallows needle like fragments of bone. These can penetrate the intestinal tract and cause peritonitis.

2. The dog grinds the bone as it chews it and produces a fine sand very like bone meal. If this is swallowed in any quantity it can set like cement in the dog's intestinal tract and produce an intestinal obstruction.

To be fair these problems are very very rare but they do occur, I have seen them at my emergency clinics.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank for your reply, I know all about the splintering of the bone, and the damage that can be done, however the meat itself is more of my concern than the bone, I have been told the it is very toxic to a dog......

Customer/p>
Hello again,

A small amount of ham would not do your dog any harm, pork is not toxic in any way but the products used to cure ham can cause digestive problems, it has a very high salt content for example.

It is the usual story, small amounts as a treat are fine but problems can occur when it constitutes a large percentage of your dog's daily diet.

Regards,

Scott