Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

How do you control swelling and pain in your dogs annual g

How do you control swelling and pain in your dogs annual glands?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

There would be two situations where swelling and pain in your dogs anal glands could occur :

1. Impacted anal glands :

The anal glands of dogs commonly get impacted and blocked, this is not really a disease and is simply fixed. This may well be best handled by your vet but I will tell you how it is done.

There are two ways to relieve this situation :

1. Locate the anal glands which will be at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock taking the center of the anus as the center of a clock, the duct opening will be visible close to the anus but they will be very small. You should be able to feel the glands about the size of a grape in this position particularly if they are full and impacted.

The technique is to locate the glands and press behind them with your thumb and forefinger and then gently empty them by pulling forward, you should feel a squirt as you do so. Have someone hold the dog for you when you do this and have a piece of cotton wool ready over the anal area as the gland contents can squirt like a water pistol sometimes.

2. Insert a lubricated gloved forefinger into the rectum , feel the glands at the above position just inside the rectum in the wall of the anus and squeeze between thumb and forefinger. This is the most effective technique but it does need a gentle approach.

2. Anal gland infection :

These are basically infections like infections in any part of the body and they will usually respond to a course of antibiotics although in a few cases lancing may be required. As prescription drugs like antibiotics are almost always needed this will require a visit to your vet.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS