Dr. Tara
Dr. Tara, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years in small animal medicine, special interest in integrative medicine.
12558602

my dog is holding her tail to one side, and seems to be in

Customer Question

my dog is holding her tail to one side, and seems to be in pain when trying to wag it. she licks it and can turn suddenly as if to bite at the base when walking. it seems very tender and doesn't look like it's set right at the base. Almost as if one side of the base is in cramp. Can anyone help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Tara replied 5 years ago.

Hello-

I am sorry your dog is painful and I would be glad to help.

How long has her tail been tender?

Does she mind you palpating that area to check for wounds or swelling?

Is she able to defecate ok?

Is she still eating, drinking, and feeling ok otherwise?

Do you know how she injured it or did you hear her yelp recently?

Thanks and I will wait for your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Tail has been tender for about 3 hours, and does not like the area to be palpated but there is no sign of wound or swelling. we have not seen if she can defecate at all, but is eating as usual. Can't seem to sit comfortably and is whining a lot feeling sorry for herself. Not aware of any recent injury, have not heard her yelp. She is holding her tail to one side, and seems to be breathing i little quicker than usual from stress we think. she has been given a dose of previcox for pain relief.

Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Tara replied 5 years ago.

Hello-

Thanks for the additional information. It may take a while for the Previcox to kick in. This is an anti inflammatory so it should help some with the pain. However, if this is a serious injury, she made need a narcotic such as Tramadol also.

If she continues to be in moderate pain, I would have to advise you have her seen either today if possible, or tomorrow at the latest, just so you don't get stuck over the weekend with no options. Many clinics are open on Saturdays.

Things to consider would be a severe sprain, a fracture, an insect bite/sting, a developing abscess, etc. Keep a close eye on her breathing. You are correct in that it could be due to pain or stress, but if this is a bee sting, difficulty breathing can be the beginnings of trouble.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need anything else. I hope she is more comfortable soon!

Dr. Tara, Veterinarian
Experience: 10 years in small animal medicine, special interest in integrative medicine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Tara replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome! :)