How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bully Breeder Your Own Question
Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1792
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership
3569931
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Bully Breeder is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have a five-year-old, 85-pound English lab. He has been

This answer was rated:

We have a five-year-old, 85-pound English lab. He has been seen eating a deer carcass at the edge of our property a couple weeks ago. Two days ago, he became very lethargic, won't eat, drinks a little water on command, and drooling a lot. I took him to the vet yesterday, where we found bilirubin, blood, and protein in his urine. I am an RN and understand these finsings. His blood tests will be back tomorrow. My qoestions is does this sounds like poisoning from a rotting deer carcass? He could have gotten to the deer again 2 or 3 weeks later. He is much better today after 2 doses of IM PCN and 1 dose of "doggie" anti-inflammatories." He even ate a little and played with his toy for a minute. If this is poisoning from the deer, what kind of long-term affects could he have?
Hello, I am sorry to hear that your baby got himself into trouble and got sick. Most of the time the food poisoning will resolve itself with t he help of the antibiotic, fluid therapy, bland diet, and replacement of good bacteria into the system. You can add good bacteria to his system by either adding probiotics or adding plain yogurt with active live cultures in ti to his bland diet. The bland diet can be of a commercial grade like I/D or E/N or you can make it at home by giving him some boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice with the fat drained off. The long term effects are not usually a problem when they get into rotten meat like that and rather the short term effects of the upset tummy and off balance of the good bacteria in the gut are the problem. It is much like food poisoning in humans only dogs get their systems all screwed up when they eat anything different than the normal. Your baby should be just fine with the treatment that you are giving him at this point and should bounce back rather quickly. Just keep him hydrated like you are doing and keep the food going as well so he can keep up his strength and I am sure you will see a different dog in a day or two. Hope he feels better but if you need anything else be sure to let me know.
Bully Breeder and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry to say we were all wrong. Our wonderful lab had cancer of the lymph and died. Thank you for your time and effort. We miss him terribly.

Related Dog Questions