Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

We have a boxer that will be 9 in June. He partially tore

Customer Question

We have a boxer that will be 9 in June. He partially tore his acl about 4 weeks ago. At first we thought he had pulled a muscle or maybe was getting hip displasia. I took him to our vet two weeks ago and she said he had toren his back right acl in his knee. She put him on 2 x a day 325 mg bayer aspirin for a week and then 1 x a day for a week. I have searched the internet and found out it could take 8-12 weeks to heal. He is now down to the 1 a day and yesterday he starting limping again. He has also held that leg up to eat or dink since this has happend but the limping was better on the 2 aspirin. We do know want to have surgery if at all possible. Do you have any suggestions? She told us not to let him jump he did get excited this past Saturday and the limping started again on Sunday.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 5 years ago.

There are some things you can do to hopefull;y avoid surgery. I would recommend a suppliment that would help to strengthen his muscles and ligaments. And yes every time he gets excited he is going to hurt it again. Try to not let him jimp down from the bed or the couch if he does get up on those. Use warm compresses for 20 minute intervals and that will help. See if your vet will give you a prescription for Deramaxx which I felel workls better than Rimadyl and other [rescription medications. As far as the suppliments you can find them at all pet stores.and follow the instructions on the bottle, most are two times a day. Then if these tips do not seem to stop the limping and holding his leg up as much as you do noy want to have surgery it may be the way you have to go, Please let me know if you havr any other questions.

Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience: 14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I fought to tell you I already give Tyson Joint Care Primary Plus with Chondroitin twice a day and also have just started Omega 3 twice a day. Is this something that you are talking about f or the supplement or is it something else? Also is Deramaxx a form of predisone? I am going to try the warm compresses if he will let me.
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 5 years ago.
No that is a prescription form of medication that will work for the bad days and I feel that along with the suppliments you are giving the combination of both of them will bring even greater relief. We too give the suppliments and find with using both it helps considerably so I feel you should ask your vet about them as they are alot easier on their bodies long term and you only need the Deramaxx on the bad days and then the suppliments as you have been.