Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care
237255

westy: 11 year old..that has had a nettlerash type stomach complaint

I have a 11 year old Westy that has had a "nettlerash" type stomach complaint it occurs frequently approx 2 times a month now she is older. I wondered if there was an alternative to prednicalone, although after a tablet it clears in about two hours.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.
Is it like indigestion or heatburn type issues you are seeing?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

The problem is gurgling and sqeeking sounds that are obviously distressing her but I do not think that she is in any great pain only that she feels sick or uncomfortable. It always occurs first thing in the morning, never during the day or night.

I hope this helps. She has nothing to eat after 6pm . I feed her two small feeds a day

of chicken and Science Plan tinned food as I find this seems to suit her.

Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 8 years ago.

The diet you are feeding her is good as it is a bland diet that helps to keep her stomach settled as best as you can and not feeding her after 6pm is helping her as welll. It sounds like she may need to be on a prescription for this such as Prevacidn or Nexium and see if they help better tham what she is on. The only thing that is different is that this is usually worse at night but it can occur in the morning when the stomach is empty and body acid could be affecting her more. But every other thing that you are doing is great and will help her as best as possible. If the prescription medication does not work then the next route would be to have x-rays or an MRI performed to see what is going on in her GI track. Please let me know if you have any other questions for me. One other idea would be to go with a natural suppliment that can be found at all pet stores and online that could help with her stomach discomfort in the morning as most all pet stores carry them.

Sincerely,