Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What antibiotics are used to treat urinary tract infection

What antibiotics are used to treat urinary tract infection in my husky puppy female
HelloCustomerbr />
I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. How old is your puppy?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
14 weeks
Thanks for the quick reply,

If I was presented with a puppy in that age group with a suspect urinary tract infection I would use an antibiotic called Clavamox.

Rather than type everything out I will give you a link to a website which covers the use of this drug in detail including dose rates and contra-indications : LINK

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We have some in our fridge, Clavimox. It expired 10-2008 but never opened. Unmixed 14ml. It was for out cat but we never needed it. We also have prednisone tabs about 10 or 12 5mg each. Does not expire until 11-2010. Should we us Clavimox or prednisone?
Hello again,

1. While I cannot encourage you to use this drug the clavamox should be fine if it was not opened, there is normally quite a leeway with expiry dates. In any case it would not be toxic to your pup just slightly less effective at worst.

2. Prednisolone is a steroid not an antibiotic and would be contraindicated in the face of an infection. Do not use it.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Understood, no prednisone.
Thank you I accept and appreciate your help on this Easter day sir. !!! - Mark
No problem, thanks very much for the accept ...

Regards,

Scott