Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues

my puppy just fell from the couch and hit her head on concrete

Customer Question

my puppy just fell from the couch and hit her head on concrete 10 min ago. What signs should I watch out for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

A head injury can be tricky. You will need to watch the pupils to be sure they are equal and reactive to light, watch for any drooling or nausea, seizures, Lethargy, and nasal or bleeding from the ears. If any of these symptoms should arise, you need to get the puppy into the ER Vet. Head trauma is very dangerous as the brain can swell and inturn if this is a concussion or skull fracture it can lead to death. Joan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

How long do I have to watch for these signs? What else can I check?

Expert:  Joan replied 7 years ago.

You need to watch for about 24-48 hours. I would have the puppy checked out by your Vet on Monday to be sure all is fine, but the first 24-48 hours would be the most critical time. Hopefully she is doing well tonight! Joan